Major pharmaceutical companies are continuing to make substantial acquisitions in the field of oncology, sparking enthusiasm in the market. Bristol Myers Squibb (NYSE:BMY) just announced its plan to buy Mirati Therapeutics, Inc. (NASDAQ:MRTX) in a deal worth up to $5.8 billion. This strategic acquisition aims to bolster their oncology portfolio, with a focus on Mirati’s MRTX1719, a promising compound for certain lung cancer. Eli Lilly (NYSE:LLY), a major pharmaceutical company, has also made a significant move by acquiring cancer therapy company POINT Biopharma Global (NASDAQ:PNT) for $1.4 billion, focusing on radioligand therapies. These multibillion-dollar deals, together with a rise in cancer awareness initiatives and an upsurge in global cancer rates, have propelled the cancer therapy market to $158 billion by 2020. Among the companies developing novel cancer treatments for the growing market is Canadian biopharmaceutical company Defence Therapeutics Inc. (CSE:DTC) (OTC:DTCFF), which specializes in immune-oncology vaccines and drug delivery technology.
Defence Therapeutics Inc. (CSE:DTC) (OTC:DTCFF) is advancing the next generation of vaccines and ADC products through its proprietary Accum® technology. This technology enables the precise delivery of vaccine antigens or ADCs in their intact form to target cells, promising increased efficacy and potency against severe illnesses such as cancer and infectious diseases.
Defence Therapeutics just announced a significant breakthrough. The company’s innovative AccuTOXTM-chitosan encapsulated formulation successfully inhibits the growth of established solid lymphomas, leading to gradual tumor reduction over time.
The study had two primary objectives: first, to determine the systemic administration feasibility of AccuTOXTM when encapsulated in chitosan-based nanoparticles, and second, to evaluate its synergy with common immune-checkpoint blockers in oncology. The formulation was administered twice with a two-week gap, and treated animals were monitored for up to 40 days. Impressively, animals receiving AccuTOX-Chitosan injections alongside co-administered anti-PD-1 experienced tumor regression and extended survival rates.
“The AccuTOXTM molecule can be toxic if delivered unconjugated and/or systemically. The Defence team was able to bypass this limitation by encapsulating it into chitosan-based nanoparticles,” explained Sebastien Plouffe, CEO of Defence Therapeutics. “This is a simpler and cheaper method compared to the use of antibodies, and may represent a key component of Defence’s future encapsulation strategies”.
Chitosan, a linear polysaccharide with various applications, has the potential to revolutionize molecular medicine by serving as a delivery vehicle for unconjugated Accum® or its variants. This approach enhances compound specificity at tumor sites while minimizing required dosages and reducing associated side effects.
Pharmaceutical Companies Announce Major Mergers and Promising Oncology Developments
On October 8, Bristol Myers Squibb (NYSE:BMY) and Mirati Therapeutics (NASDAQ:MRTX) announced a merger agreement. Bristol Myers Squibb will acquire Mirati for $58.00 per share in cash, totaling $4.8 billion. Mirati shareholders will also receive a non-tradeable Contingent Value Right (CVR) per share, potentially worth $12.00 in cash, adding $1.0 billion in value. The deal, approved by both companies’ boards, unites Mirati’s targeted oncology assets with Bristol Myers Squibb‘s portfolio and pipeline. This acquisition includes KRAZATI, a key lung cancer medicine. Bristol Myers Squibb will gain access to valuable clinical assets that complement its oncology pipeline and offer opportunities for single-agent and combination therapies.
On September 9, Mirati Therapeutics, Inc. (NASDAQ:MRTX) presented two-year follow-up data from the KRYSTAL-1 study, assessing adagrasib (KRAZATI®) in non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) patients with KRASG12C mutations. The analysis revealed adagrasib’s durable efficacy, with a median overall survival of 14.1 months and a 2-year OS rate of 31% in previously treated patients. The study also indicated clinical benefits for patients with stable CNS metastases at baseline and various co-mutations. Adagrasib maintained a manageable long-term safety profile with low-grade treatment-related adverse events. The absence of hepatotoxicity within 30 days of prior immunotherapy and a low rate of grade >3 hepatotoxicity were notable. A Phase 3 study, KRYSTAL-12, continues to evaluate adagrasib vs. docetaxel in previously treated KRASG12C-mutated NSCLC patients.
On October 3, Eli Lilly and Company (NYSE:LLY) entered a definitive agreement to acquire POINT Biopharma Global, Inc. (NASDAQ:PNT), a radiopharmaceutical company specializing in cancer treatment. POINT focuses on radioligand therapies that target cancer cells with precision while sparing healthy tissue. Their lead programs, PNT20021 and PNT20031, target prostate cancer and gastroenteropancreatic neuroendocrine tumors, respectively, with key data expected in Q4 2023. POINT also has several other programs in earlier stages of development. In addition, POINT operates radiopharmaceutical manufacturing facilities in Indianapolis and a research and development center in Toronto. These assets, along with their supply chain network, will support POINT’s radioisotope sourcing. This acquisition enhances Eli Lilly‘s position in the radioligand therapy space.
On September 18, POINT Biopharma Global (NASDAQ:PNT) and Athebio AG announced a collaboration and licensing pact for the creation and distribution of DARPin-targeted radioligands, called “Radio-DARPins.” DARPins represent a promising class of ligands for cell-surface targets, extending the reach of cell “surfaceome” targets beyond typical small molecules and peptides. The partnership grants POINT exclusive access to Athebio’s intellectual property and capabilities in DARPin development in radioligand therapy. They will cooperate in discovery, candidate selection, and preclinical development of Athebody® DARPins for Radio-DARPins. POINT will oversee clinical development and commercialization of Radio-DARPins resulting from the collaboration. These Radio-DARPins offer exciting potential in cancer therapy.
Defence Therapeutics Inc. (CSE:DTC) (OTC:DTCFF) recently published a peer-reviewed study on its anticancer product, Accum®. The study, titled “Intratumoral administration of unconjugated Accum® impairs the growth of pre-established solid lymphoma tumors,” is available in Cancer Science journal.
Featured Image @ FreePik
1) The author of the Article, or members of the author’s immediate household or family, do not own any securities of the companies set forth in this Article. The author determined which companies would be included in this article based on research and understanding of the sector.
2) The Article was issued on behalf of and sponsored by, Defence Therapeutics Inc. Market Jar Media Inc. has or expects to receive from Defence Therapeutics Inc.’s Digital Marketing Agency of Record (Native Ads Inc.) ninety six thousand five hundred US dollars for 30 days (21 business days).
3) Statements and opinions expressed are the opinions of the author and not Market Jar Media Inc., its directors or officers. The author is wholly responsible for the validity of the statements. The author was not paid by Market Jar Media Inc. for this Article. Market Jar Media Inc. was not paid by the author to publish or syndicate this Article. Market Jar has not independently verified or otherwise investigated all such information. None of Market Jar or any of their respective affiliates, guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any such information. The information provided above is for informational purposes only and is not a recommendation to buy or sell any security. Market Jar Media Inc. requires contributing authors to disclose any shareholdings in, or economic relationships with, companies that they write about. Market Jar Media Inc. relies upon the authors to accurately provide this information and Market Jar Media Inc. has no means of verifying its accuracy.
5) Market Jar Media Inc. and its respective directors, officers and employees hold no shares for any company mentioned in the Article.
6) This document contains forward-looking information and forward-looking statements, within the meaning of applicable Canadian securities legislation, (collectively, “forward-looking statements”), which reflect management’s expectations regarding Defence Therapeutics Inc.’s future growth, future business plans and opportunities, expected activities, and other statements about future events, results or performance. Wherever possible, words such as “predicts”, “projects”, “targets”, “plans”, “expects”, “does not expect”, “budget”, “scheduled”, “estimates”, “forecasts”, “anticipate” or “does not anticipate”, “believe”, “intend” and similar expressions or statements that certain actions, events or results “may”, “could”, “would”, “might” or “will” be taken, occur or be achieved, or the negative or grammatical variation thereof or other variations thereof, or comparable terminology have been used to identify forward-looking statements. These forward-looking statements include, among other things, statements relating to: (a) revenue generating potential with respect to Defence Therapeutics Inc.’s industry; (b) market opportunity; (c) Defence Therapeutics Inc.’s business plans and strategies; (d) services that Defence Therapeutics Inc. intends to offer; (e) Defence Therapeutics Inc.’s milestone projections and targets; (f) Defence Therapeutics Inc.’s expectations regarding receipt of approval for regulatory applications; (g) Defence Therapeutics Inc.’s intentions to expand into other jurisdictions including the timeline expectations relating to those expansion plans; and (h) Defence Therapeutics Inc.’s expectations with regarding its ability to deliver shareholder value. Forward-looking statements are not a guarantee of future performance and are based upon a number of estimates and assumptions of management in light of management’s experience and perception of trends, current conditions and expected developments, as well as other factors that management believes to be relevant and reasonable in the circumstances, as of the date of this document including, without limitation, assumptions about: (a) the ability to raise any necessary additional capital on reasonable terms to execute Defence Therapeutics Inc.’s business plan; (b) that general business and economic conditions will not change in a material adverse manner; (c) Defence Therapeutics Inc.’s ability to procure equipment and operating supplies in sufficient quantities and on a timely basis; (d) the accuracy of budgeted costs and expenditures; (e) Defence Therapeutics Inc.’s ability to attract and retain skilled personnel; (f) political and regulatory stability; (g) the receipt of governmental, regulatory and third-party approvals, licenses and permits on favorable terms; (h) changes in applicable legislation; (i) stability in financial and capital markets; and (j) expectations regarding the level of disruption to as a result of CV-19. Such forward-looking information involves a variety of known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors which may cause the actual plans, intentions, activities, results, performance or achievements of Defence Therapeutics Inc. to be materially different from any future plans, intentions, activities, results, performance or achievements expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. Such risks include, without limitation: (a) Defence Therapeutics Inc.’s operations could be adversely affected by possible future government legislation, policies and controls or by changes in applicable laws and regulations; (b) public health crises such as CV-19 may adversely impact Defence Therapeutics Inc.’s business; (c) the volatility of global capital markets; (d) political instability and changes to the regulations governing Defence Therapeutics Inc.’s business operations (e) Defence Therapeutics Inc. may be unable to implement its growth strategy; and (f) increased competition.
Except as required by law, Defence Therapeutics Inc. undertakes no obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future event or otherwise, after the date on which the statements are made or to reflect the occurrence of unanticipated events. Neither does Defence Therapeutics Inc. nor any of its representatives make any representation or warranty, express or implied, as to the accuracy, sufficiency or completeness of the information in this document. Neither Defence Therapeutics Inc. nor any of its representatives shall have any liability whatsoever, under contract, tort, trust or otherwise, to you or any person resulting from the use of the information in this document by you or any of your representatives or for omissions from the information in this document.
7) Any graphs, tables or other information demonstrating the historical performance or current or historical attributes of Defence Therapeutics Inc. or any other entity contained in this document are intended only to illustrate historical performance or current or historical attributes of Defence Therapeutics Inc. or such entities and are not necessarily indicative of future performance of Defence Therapeutics Inc. or such entities.
8) Investing is risky. The information provided in this article should not be considered as a substitute for professional financial consultation. Users should be aware that investing in any form carries inherent risks, and as such, there is a possibility of losing some or all of their investment. The value of investments can fluctuate significantly within a short period, and investors must understand that past performance is not indicative of future results. Additionally, users should exercise caution as transactions involving investments may be irreversible, even in cases of fraud or accidental actions. It is crucial to acknowledge that rapidly evolving laws and technical issues can have adverse effects on the usability, transferability, exchangeability, and value of investments. Furthermore, users must be cognizant of potential security risks associated with their investment activities. Individuals are strongly encouraged to conduct thorough research, seek professional advice, and carefully evaluate their risk tolerance before engaging in any investment endeavors. Market Jar Media Inc. is neither an investment adviser nor a broker-dealer. The information presented on the website is provided for informative purposes only and is not to be treated as a recommendation to make any specific investment. No such information on PressReach.com constitutes advice or a recommendation.Read more investing news on PressReach.com.Subscribe to the PressReach RSS feeds:
- Featured News RSS feed
- Investing News RSS feed
- Daily Press Releases RSS feed
- Trading Tips RSS feed
- Investing Videos RSS feed